December 26, 1947 [La belle et la bête/Beauty and the Beast]

We all went to see La belle et la bête, and although the French Beast looks like Lon Chaney with a lace collar, the children were not afraid. They sat silently--so much so that I glanced over at them occasionally, and by the flickering light I noticed they had an almost-sleepy look--but they didn't seem bored.

The images will never fade (no matter how faded they may have been from the start): the smoke curling from the Beast’s hand and shoulders, the arms bearing torches, the camera-reversals that float Belle from her bed, the watchful mantel-figures, the gauze that seems to hang over everything, as though we are watching someone’s memories so closely they become our own, a kind of possession and surreal ecstasy and psycho-analysis, all with popcorn.

And so there I was again, silly as a little boy—and one day I’ll forgive myself for it, and enjoy the fact that I’m dreaming for real, as it were, thankfully helpless in the middle of the lively night.

Comments

Popular Posts